Smackable, smoochable, kiss-worthy lips are always in style, no matter what season it is. But as the colder weather gets closer and closer, those pashable puckers may need a little extra DIY TLC.
Now I’m sure we all have that one tried and true lip gloss that we love, but does it help to really moisturize your lips? And not just moisturize them but help stave off chapping while also giving your lips a pop of gloss?
If the answer is no, well then have I got something for you ladies.
You see, I’m the type of girl who likes a good lip gloss but isn’t so down with slathering my lips with glosses full of god-knows-what. On top of that, I lick my lips a lot so whatever I put on my pout is definitely being ingested.
To avoid digesting whatever chemicals were in my glosses, I hit up my homeboy Google to see if I could find a good-for-you DIY lip gloss that I could make, that wouldn’t cost me an arm and a leg.
Maybe it’s just me, but if the ingredients list on my lip gloss looks like a page out of my old High School Chemistry text book, I would rather just make it myself.
Curious to find out how you can make your own DIY lip gloss? Read on, beauty babes!
How To Make Your Own DIY Lip Gloss
What’s so great about this simple lip gloss is not only is it great for your skin and body, but it’s simple and cheap! All you need is:
- 1 teaspoon of fresh Aloe Vera gel
- 1/2 teaspoon of pure Coconut Oil
- 1/8 teaspoon of Vitamin E Oil
- a few drops of your favourite essential oil such as vanilla, peppermint, coconut, or even lime
Once you have all of your ingredients together, simply:
- stir your mixture until evenly combined
- once smooth, scoop into a small lip gloss container
- apply using a Q-tip or a (clean) fingertip
The natural moisturizing agents found in the oils and the Aloe Vera gel help to cure dry, cracked lips, while also naturally hydrating them, protecting against future dryness, and adding some serious lustre to your lips.
If colour is what you crave, well then girl I’ve got you!
How To Customize Your DIY Lip Gloss
To add a pop of je ne sais quoi to that pucker, head to your nearest grocery store and pick up a pomegranate.
Once back in your kitchen, all you have to do is:
- pick out 20 pomegranate seeds
- mash up those seeds in a separate bowl
- pour 1/2 teaspoon of the pomegranate juice into your gloss mixture
- stir until you have the colour you want
- pour your mixture into a small glass lip gloss container
- dip a Q-tip or your (clean) fingertip into the gloss and apply directly to your lips
Not only will it add a tiny bit of taste but the antioxidant properties don’t hurt a girl either!
So what do you think? Would you make your own DIY lip gloss or do you prefer to stick to your store-bought stash? Share your thoughts in the comment section below and let a sistah know!