*This is a guest post by Todra*
When I decided nearly twenty years ago, to wear my curls free and wild, without the torment of chemical straighteners or daily blowouts, I was a bit of a maverick. I remember friends with curly hair, from the silky kind to the kinky kind, asking me, “What will you do with it?”
Curls have been deemed the “problem” hair a lot. I see hair products with labels that tout, “tame unruly curls.” I don’t consider my hair unruly. And I don’t need a $40 shampoo or a $150 chemical process to change it.
I’ve learned how to nourish my hair and keep it healthy with the simplest of products, most are homemade.
And since I’m friends with a lot of curly girls (and guys), I’ve enjoyed helping them develop their go-to hair care, as well.
Here are the 3 best products for curly hair that are no-fuss, cost-effective and best of all DIY that will make your locks the crowning glory they were intended to be.
The 3 Best Products for Curly Hair You Can Make at Home
I’m shocked by how little buzz Bentonite Clay receives. If you’re not familiar with it, Bentonite Clay is an edible clay from naturally occurring volcanic ash sediments. It’s mostly used as an internal detox or a skin care treatment, but it makes a great hair cleanser, as well.
All you have to do to make this hair mask is:
- Mix ¼ cup of Bentonite Clay with enough water to create a thin paste
- Place on damp hair and wrap with plastic wrap
- Leave on for 15 minutes and rinse thoroughly
- Follow with a natural conditioner (or an apple cider vinegar rinse).
The best part about this hair mask is not only is it natural but your hair will be clean and your curls will pop! Bonus!
Marshmallow Root Detangler
Marshmallow root is a plant with a mucus like substance inside that works wonders at detangling thick, silky curls. It can be purchased in tea bags at your favourite grocery store (or in powder form on Amazon).
- Simmer one cup of water with 4 tea bags for 20 minutes
- Allow the mixture to cool with the bags in the water
- Remove the bags
- Add 1 tbsp of apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp of olive or jojoba oil (jojoba is best for finer hair)
- 5 drops of your favourite essential oil for scent
- Pour in a spritzer bottle and use after washing and conditioning.
You’ll be amazed at how soft and beautiful your hair is. Another bonus – you can store this treatment in the fridge for up to two weeks!
Banana and Olive Oil Deep Conditioner
Thick, kinky coils can dry out easily, causing breakage. Skip the black hair care aisle and make an easy, all natural deep conditioner right in your kitchen.
All you need to do is:
- Grab a tiny jar of organic bananas from the baby food shelf at your local grocer
- Add a tablespoon of honey and a tablespoon of olive oil
- Mix well and apply to damp hair
- Sit under a shower cap for 30 minutes
- Gently wash your hair with a no sulfate shampoo.
Your ‘fro will thank you, trust me!
Et voila! 3 simple and natural DIY treatments that make up some of the best products for curly hair. Have any curly hair recipes of your own? Dish ’em below!
Todra Payne is a green beauty expert and the author of the book, Natural Care for Curls & Kinks, available on Amazon.